Soft and fluffy on the inside with a slightly crisp exterior, summer squash is sweetened up in this snack.
Zucchini Lemon Muffin Tops
zest of two lemons
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesauce, as I used)
1 cup grated zucchini
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup white whole wheat)
for the glaze
juice of two lemons
about a cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Grate the zucchini and blot it with a paper towel to absorb some of the liquid.
- Rub the lemon zest and the sugar together until fragrant. Add the oil (and applesauce, i using) and egg and mix well until combined. Add vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and mix until combined.
- Scoop dough by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown around the edges.
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes on the pan before removing the a wire rack.
- While cookies are cooling, juice the lemons into a bowl and mix sifted powdered sugar into the juice with a whisk until you have a smooth but runny glaze. Dip the cooled cookies and let dry.