Surprisingly simple and scrumptious. I think Rice Kernel and my Dad helped themselves to the entire batch.
Apple Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins
1 cup old fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 grated apple or pear
1 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
12 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes.
- Stir in egg, sugar, apple and oil.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices; stir into oat mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 16-18 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Makes 12 muffins.