This recipe is so easy that it’s more of a cooking technique than an actual recipe. It’s a perfect side for any wintertime meal.
Pan-Braised Carrots with Orange, from Fresh Every Day
2 bunches slender carrots with the tops on or large carrots, chopped into 3-5 inch segments
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 orange
fresh rosemary, minced
salt and pepper to taste
- Snip off the green tops of the carrots, leaving about 1 inch of green.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Once the butter is melted, add the whole carrots in a single layer and let brown, turning once or twice, for about 8 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, salt, pepper and orange juice plus about ½ cup of water.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Uncover and raise the heat to let any remaining liquid bubble away.
Notes: You could substitute or add other vegetables for the carrots, such as parsnips or turnips