Tangy, moist, refreshing, and aromatic chicken. The tropical flavors of kiwi and orange are infused in a simple marinade with floral, lavender aroma. The same marinade is later reduced and used as a vinaigrette over tossed greens. Easy for a hot summer dinner, a weekday lunch, or a picnic at the park with Rice Kernel.
Lavender-Laced Chicken over Mixed Greens, from Herb Companion
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tbsp fresh lavender buds
2 fresh kiwi fruit, peeled and mashed
1 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed or store-bought
4 chicken breasts
4 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cups mixed salad greens
- In a small skillet, heat the oil; add the onion and cook over medium-low heat until very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon into a large, shallow baking dish. Stir in the lavender, kiwi, and orange juice; whisk to combine.
- Lay chicken breasts in marinade, cover, and set aside in refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Lift chicken breasts from the marinade and place them in a lightly oiled baking pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Slice into strips.
- To make the dressing, bring the orange-lavender-kiwi marinade to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Whisk in the lime juice and 1/2 cup olive oil, season with salt, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- At serving time, place 1 cup salad greens in each of four salad bowls. Top with sliced cooked chicken and drizzle with lavender dressing. Top with nuts, if desired.