Since Rice Kernel came along, the world outside all-purpose and whole-wheat flours has come into clear view. My latest exploration is teff flour, a gluten-free ancient grain. Native to Ethiopia, teff has a nutty, earthy flavor and a beautiful chocolate hue. Touted as a nutritional powerhouse, it is packed with protein, calcium, thiamin, and iron, among other nutrients.
I found this recipe from the back of a package of teff flour and adapted the filling to include creamy, guilt-free yogurt. Filled with a savory-sweet, ethereal yogurt and corn mixture, the teff crust is a hearty counterbalance in texture and flavor. The dish comes together simply and is the perfect Spring or Summer recipe for a brunch, picnic, potluck, or lazy afternoon snack.
Corn Quiche in a Teff Crust, adapted from Bob’s Red Mill
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tbsp butter or Earth Balance
1 cup Teff flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1/2 cup yogurt (I used 2% Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup milk (I used 2%; cream or whole milk would add more body)
4 large eggs
1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cheese (Gouda, Swiss, Gruyere, Monterey Jack or your favorite variety)
1 bunch scallion, chopped (or 2 tbsp basil or tarragon, chopped)
1/2 medium green bell pepper and/or yellow onion, minced (1/2 cup total)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cut softened butter or Earth Balance into teff and all-purpose flours. Add water and oil and combine until a soft ball of dough forms. Roll between two pieces of plastic wrap (it will be delicate) and transfer to an oiled 9″ pie plate. (You can also press the dough directly into the pie plate.)
- Place corn, yogurt, and milk in blender and blend until smooth.
- Add eggs, pepper and salt, blend just to mix.
- Sprinkle all but 2 tbsp cheese in unbaked teff pie crust.
- Add corn mixture.
- Sprinkle green onion and vegetables over the surface of pie. Top with remaining 2 tbsp cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean and center of pie is set.