I love granola and so does Rice Kernel. This is a lower-sugar and lower-fat version. It doesn’t clump as well for me as other traditional recipes I’ve tried, but if you cluster small palmfuls together before baking, that seems to make a difference. (For the people who enjoy clusters.)
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup raisins, chocolate chips, etc.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, warm the applesauce with the honey and oil over low heat.
- Mix the applesauce mixture into the oat mixture and stir to coat everything. Spread the mixture onto a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is a deep brown. Remove from oven and stir in raisins. Cool completely before enjoying or adding chocolate chips (if you are like me).